Towards the end of 2021, we were fortunate enough to catch up with Talia Walker from La Piccola Viaggiatrice. Talia has very kindly shared her simple focaccia recipe with us (which I must admit, kept me going throughout lockdown!). If you haven't checked out our interview with Talia yet you can do so HERE.
• 500g plain flour
• 1.5 cups warm water
• 2 teaspoons yeast
• 1.5 teaspoon caster sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 60 ml olive oil
• Olive oil spray
• Extra olive oil
• Extra salt
• Toppings (olives/tomatoes/herbs etc)
• Put the caster sugar and yeast together in the warm water. Mix and set aside for 10 mins (until yeast is foamy).
• Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Include some of the yeast/water mix and the oil.
• Combine with a fork.
• Continue to add the yeast/water mix gradually, stirring with the fork. Combine until all the yeast/water has been added and the mixture is a sticky ball.
• Spray with olive oil, cover, and set aside for 15 minutes.
• Lightly grease a baking tray (20cm x 30cm) with oil or line with baking paper and place the dough inside. Gently push to the corners of the pan, then cover and set aside for 1 hour. It should double in size.
• Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
• Here is the fun part: choose your topping! I did three different variations: rosemary and parmesan; olives; and tomatoes and rosemary. All were very yummy – just keep in mind that the dough will rise quite a bit, so don’t be afraid to pack on the topping. Though, that being said, the plainer salted focaccia is also really nice.
• Preheat oven to 220°C. Bake in the oven for 25mins, or until golden.
If you try any of the recipes posted on the website, make sure to tag us on instagram @il.tesoro.italian or #iltesoroitaliano
HOW YOU CAN CONNECT!
For Il Tesoro Italiano readers, Talia has shared an exclusive 10% discount on her Etsy store, Viaggio Designs! All you have to do is use the link below:
La Piccola Viaggiatrice: https://lapiccolaviaggiatrice.wordpress.com/
Viaggio Designs: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/ViaggioDesigns?coupon=VIAGGIO&fbclid=IwAR3cYiDe8rHnzGjvLH8Mw3RdSiw_TyUOAn08BEcjvxIiEBLNkGn-jUYuTGc
Platters By Talia: https://www.instagram.com/plattersbytalia/